For an inside look at another complex food scene, we travel to Puebla, where you’ll learn there’s more to this city than mole. Originally designed in partnership with local website All About Puebla, our walking Puebla food tour is led by two born-and-raised Poblanas and includes tastes of a half-dozen popular local foods.
Puebla is located about 75 miles southeast of Mexico City and is easily reachable by luxury bus. The trip takes about 2 hours leaving from either Mexico City’s TAPO terminal or the airport. The trip costs around 200 pesos each way. Read more about how to get to Puebla from Mexico City on All About Puebla’s website. Or, if you’d like Eat Mexico to arrange your trip for you, we can do that for an extra fee.
TASTE OF PUEBLA
Known for its tacos, sandwiches and fried masa snacks, the city of Puebla is a food lover’s paradise. We’ll explore some of its best-known staples and meander through the oldest market in Puebla, La Acocota, where you’ll learn about typical Mexican ingredients. You’ll feast on tacos árabes (grilled, spit-roasted pork) in the city where they were invented, so you know they're the real deal. You’ll taste the meaty, crunchy pelona, a sandwich served on fried bread. And you’ll try dessert, too, with tastings of artisan candies originally developed by the local nuns, and freshly baked pan dulce (sweet rolls). Finally, we’ll end with a taste of an artisan liqueur. While this tour is great for carnivores, it can be adapted for vegetarians.
- Time:3 ½ hours
- When:Monday through Sunday, generally 11 am to 3 pm, or sometimes at 1:00 pm
- Price:$85 USD, with group discounts available
- Meeting Point:The Tourism Information Office near Puebla’s main public square (Zócalo), located on Av. Don Juan de Palafox y Mendoza, between Ayuntamiento and Calle 2 Norte streets
- Sonyad28, TripAdvisor: We did the late night tacos & Mezcal tour with Arturo. Arturo was an exceptional guide, very knowledgeable and friendly...
- Ingrid T, TripAdvisor: I’m definitely doing another tour. They cost more than the competition but the quality of the experience is worth it...
- Sean M, TripAdvisor: We visited areas of the city that we probably would not have found on our own. I can highly recommend this tour...